Art + balance: Creativity and the graduate student


I've been in graduate school, since 2004.  Yes.  I'm on my fourth degree.  Some might say that I'm "over-educated."  I don't care.  People have asked me, "When do you find time to write?"  How about when do I find time to LIVE!?  Well I happen to believe that each degree program I've pursued, has been very useful for my work and career.  And of course my MFA degree was in writing, which I am still finding to be worthwhile as I work to strengthen my craft.  I love learning.  I'm proud to be from a family of educators who instilled a love of education in me.  The arts became a passion of mine early on, and so writing + education has been at the center of my life work.

But there is a drawback I've found to being an artist + graduate student.  The time and mental energy it takes to focus on classwork for graduate school, over time, can take away, from creative pursuits.  And that is if you do not structure your time, learn to say "No" to unnecessary activities or commit to what you say you really want for your art.  I've also found that over the years my eyes have become strained through repeated close reading and constant computer usage.  It could also be that with age, comes weaker eyes.  If you're an artist in an arts program that informs your work, it may be easier because you are constantly surrounded by people who are immersed in their art as well.  And perhaps they are giving you critique and helping you grow. 

So, how do you balance creativity with work + school?  Writers I know who are enrolled in MFA programs, find that their writing falls in line with their graduate studies.  But what if your grad program is not really aligned with your art?  One could refer to The Artist's Way by Julie Cameron, a daily, self help practice workbook for artists who need a an inspirational boost.  Cameron encourages artists of all genres to commit to solitude and writing "morning pages" in order to bring ones self back to creative balance.  I used the book years ago, during a summer when my mind wandered more than my pen did onto the page.  I also repeatedly read Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain to inspire my creative vision as a writer. 

Listening to music while working or resting is a great way to inspire the artist within, especially if you have neglected your art for awhile.  I love the relaxing Cafe del Mar chillout and Buddha Bar hour-long playlists.  As a full-time educator and graduate student, I find that it's important to build in those joyous breaks between working and studying.  Academic life can be very non-creative and can feel like, "when will this be over" but it's necessary for certain career progress.  I have to build in time to write.  Early mornings.  Late evenings.  Sometimes only once per week.  I jot down ideas on my iPhone until I get to my computer or notebook.  When I sit down to really write and revise, I do it for three or more hours.  Water, herbal tea and a snack is close by.  And in this space I try not to think about the paper I have due in a few weeks or some other to do list.  Because I know that I will get it done and it will be thorough.

Self care for artists, whether you work full time in addition to graduate studies, or not.  How you take care of your mind and body is important.  Sleep is not overrated.  Our fast paced culture promotes the idea of "grind now, sleep later."  But you won't have a grind now or later if you don't sleep.  Lack of sleep can cause digestive problems, anxiety, depression and an overall bad mood.

Your mind, body and spirit need rest and intervals of quiet to rejuvenate and sustain.  That's the truth.  Studies have shown that lack of sleep can affect your heart, your mental stamina, and can accelerate aging.  Sleep, proper nutrition, hydration, even being around positive vs. negative energy all has an affect on your creative output, your mental outlook and overall productivity.  The next time you think you have some type of block, like writers block - ask if you are getting enough self care in the above areas.

There's light at the end of the tunnel.  Sometimes I feel my pursuit of "book knowledge" in higher education will never end, yet it is necessary for certain goals I may have.  There is always a gnawing inside of me, a reminder and a whisper telling me to "don't forget to write..." no matter how tired I am.  Eye strain.  Bad attitude.  Phone calls.  Assignment deadlines.  Hunger.  Need to be social.  Nothing should keep you from your art.  Otherwise, you'll search for something outside of yourself, to feed your soul. 

How do you fit your creative practice into your busy work + school schedule?

Comments

OEBooks said…
Nice layout of how you apply education to your muse. Looks like I'll have to listen to one of your radio programs, and read some of your work.

What works for me is keeping far away from critics, both inner and outer, or learning from others, as in a classroom setting, along with many of the items you mention... music, taking care of the body (and mind), and SLEEP for sure;-)

Popular posts from this blog

Barbecue & Books Go Hand in Hand: 5 Crazy Ways to Promote Your Book!

After the MFA: 10 things I learned

Jazz, Books & Talking to Strangers in DC