After the MFA: 10 things I learned


My journey as a full time graduate student in the MFA in Creative Writing degree program at The New School in NYC, has come to an end.   I'm a graduate!!

So many people asked me, "DuEwa, why another Master's degree - you already have one?" and "Why an MFA, you're already a writer."  I felt the need to immerse myself in the writing life in a different way.  I wanted to study the craft and expand my knowledge in ways that I hadn't before.  I wanted to be linked to serious writers and learn from esteemed professors who have published or at least have taught writing for many years.  Did I expand my knowledge? Yes.  Did I study and link up with writers I did not previously know?  Yes.  Was the journey difficult at times?  Of course.  Am I glad I applied to the program, went through it and finished?  TOTALLY!!!  A mentor once said to me, "Anything worth having is worth struggling for."  And I did. 


I was lucky to have already been published in journals, magazines and online prior to coming into the MFA program, but that experience did not prepare me for my two year journey.  The MFA program is its own world.  They don't care what you've done prior - it's all about what you can show right now as a writer and how you contribute to the program. 


10 things I learned from my MFA experience:


1.  Listen to the criticism and feedback during workshop without being defensive or arguing.  Reflect upon all feedback whether you feel it applies to you or not.  If anyone gives you criticism that is disrespectful and more like a personal attack, take a mental note, but refrain from verbal sparring.  Let their immaturity show through while you take the high road.


2.  Talk to previous graduates - alumni who also attended your school and hear what their experience was like.  But do not use what they tell you as a barometer.  Go in with an open mind, not baggage from someone else.


3.  Stand up for the perspective or ideas you have, even if it differs from that of your peers or instructors.  And do it in a way that is mature and respectful.  Be prepared to back up what you're saying with research if need be.


4.  Do not expect to receive a great amount of help or support from anyone who has *shown* you that they do not *get* or agree with what you're trying to do.  You have to believe in yourself and know your abilities as well as your limits.


5.  Sometimes, it's best to keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself - no one needs to know everything you think.  Your one opinion may not carry as much weight as the group or collective opinion does.  Understanding this is part of being a mature student who is willing to grow.


6.  Network, network, network while you're in the program.  Attend readings, support authors, go to events your professors have.  You never know who you may link up with who holds the keys to a freelance writing gig, an agent contact or a paid reading/conference gig for you.  Send your writing out to publications and people who you believe can help you. 


7.  Realize that your instructors are people too.  They're not superhuman, or perfect or without flaws.  If you have a conflict, talk to them and address it either privately or at least in a way that will benefit everyone involved. 


8.  Revise, revise, revise.  Your writing is not *the sho-nuff stuff* unless it goes through the ringer many times over.


9.  It's okay to show others outside of the MFA program your writing, to get a different perspective.  You can listen to the feedback and decide which way you want to go.  Remember the source of creativity is you.  Your instructors and peers are there as a sounding board, but you have to be comfortable with the final product.


10.  Your MFA experience is what you make of it.  No one's going to hold your hand, stroke your ego or serve you up a publishing deal or agent on a silver platter.  Writing is work and can be extremely rewarding if you know how to organize your ideas and can devote the time and attention that your craft needs. 

Check out The Creative Writing Blog for information and perspectives on getting an MFA degree. 

Comments

Neither Donna nor I are MFA'ers, but the list of "10 Things" you learned is relevant to so many endeavors--especially writing. All aspiring authors should put the list on their bulletin board, refrigerator--somewhere they will see and read it often!
DuEwa Frazier said…
DeBerry and Grant,
Thank you I totally agree. This can be applied to so many other experiences. I am thankful for what I learned. Take care!
G. Dan said…
Great advice! A lot of it deals with maturity I don't yet have, but I'm still trying.
I am so proud of you DuEwa. I have also considered (and still consider) returning to school for a Masters level program in writing, and for the exact smae reasons. I was pleased to see that I currently do try to apply these 10 principles to my writing. And as DeBerry and Grant said, these should definitely go on the refrigerator or at least a sticky note on the desk! :)
Kelly said…
Congratulations on earning your MFA! Thank you for sharing the lessons you learned.
Sandra Proto said…
Well said. I agree with DeBerry and Grant. I recently asked my writing group for some feedback on a short story that have been rejected so many times. The group gave me some very useful feedback (very honest). Instead of me being upset (which I think some people in the group might have thought I would be). I took the feedback and learned from it.
DuEwa Frazier said…
@Sandra It's great that you were able to take the feedback and hopefully assess whether your piece is working or not. That's the best thing about workshop. Thanks for your comment!
DuEwa Frazier said…
@CreoleMagnolia It's great that these are things you're already doing and thinking about. I wish you the best with your writing and deciding whether to enroll in a program. Thanks for your comment!
DuEwa Frazier said…
@G. Dan The level of maturity is definitely a factor. And it differs for each person. Also sensitivity or lack there of is also oftentimes an issue. Thanks for your comment!
Unknown said…
Great advice for everyone regardless of their study programs.
Dera Williams said…
Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Ditto on everything CreoleMagnolia and DeBerry& Grant said; I have the same thoughts. Congratulations on making it through.
Cril said…
Wonderful Duewa! Congrats on this major accomplishment.

Corey (Cril)
DuEwa Frazier said…
@V.Furnas Yes so true! @Corey @Dera Thank you so much!
Anonymous said…
Great advice all round I think. I'm starting a degree in English Lit. and Creative Writing this year, cause I want to learn more and immerse myself in books and writing and writers. I'd like to do a masters afterwards but we'll see!
nancy said…
Looks like your MFA program was a wonderful gift to your writing self, DuEwa. There's always more to learn about the craft of writing whether we're published or not.
DuEwa Frazier said…
@Nancy Yes indeed! There's always more to learn. Thanks for your comment.
DuEwa Frazier said…
@Rhi Best wishes for starting your new program and looking into graduate school. Thanks for your comment!
Scrollwork said…
Congratulations on your MFA, DuEwa! I look back wistfully on my two semesters of Creative Writing when I was in graduate school for an M.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies. It was a such a productive time in terms of writing output; a bubble of nurturing even while we knew it would have an ending and we would have the real world to contend with soon enough.

What you said about maturity in receiving feedback is so true; maturity also counts immensely in giving it. I remember being the first called upon by the scriptwriting prof to give feedback on a classmate's work. I had been privately cringing at the amateur skill level, but thank goodness my usual bluntness did not come pouring out. I heard myself say, "This would be perfect for the after-school movie market." Tadah! Honest, non-pandering, non-insulting. Phew!
Congratulations on your achievement and the Ten Things, which you have learned which are inspirational to all authors.
DuEwa Frazier said…
@Vivienne Thanks so much!

Popular posts from this blog

Barbecue & Books Go Hand in Hand: 5 Crazy Ways to Promote Your Book!

Jazz, Books & Talking to Strangers in DC