Dr. Donda West, mother of Kanye West has passed

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Dr. Donda West. I am sure that Kanye and his family are in deep mourning at this time. Our prayers go out. No one wants to lose a loved one, especially a mother! I felt a kinship to Dr. West knowing that she was an English professor and recently wrote a book about her life and raising Kanye. Also a former boss of mine, Dr. Brenda Greene, an English professor at Medgar Evers College (CUNY), interviewed Dr. West for Black Issues Book Review last spring. The interview was related to the release of Raising Kanye: Life Lessons From the Mother of a Hip-Hop Superstar. I always marvel at parents who are educators and artists, who raise their children to be literate and creative. And this is what Donda West did as a single parent. I have seen countless interviews of her on television with Kanye, I was routing for this highly educated black woman to have some time off after working 31+ years as an educator, to enjoy her life, and enjoy the fruits of her labor. Kanye achieved the dream that so many young people have, of being able to take care of their mother and give back to her the way she gave. I'm sure Kanye hoped Dr. West would live and be there for her future grandchildren and to achieve any other dreams she may have had after retiring from her post as Chairperson of Chicago State University's English Department. Although I do not know the West family personally, I wish them much peace and comfort at this time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barbecue & Books Go Hand in Hand: 5 Crazy Ways to Promote Your Book!

After the MFA: 10 things I learned

Jazz, Books & Talking to Strangers in DC