Children's book memories: Richard Scarry books




Popular children's book author and illustrator Richard Scarry would've been 92 this past June 5th. I have fond memories of my mom reading Richard Scarry books to me when I was very little. We had several of his beloved books in our library along with many other children's books. My parents were educators so literacy was very important.

My favorites were Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks from A to Z , Richard Scarry's Best Story Book Ever!, Richard Scarry's A Day at the Airport, Richard Scarry's Bedtime Stories, The Gingerbread Man and my MOST FAVORITE Richard Scarry book of all - Good Night, Little Bear! What a soothing book that was at bedtime.




I loved A Day at the Airport because my parents started putting me on planes by myself to see my grandmother in the Midwest when I was four!!! Imagine that. A four-year old traveling alone. I always had a stewardess minder so it was okay. I love The Gingerbread Man because I thought it was cool that he was so little and could outrun the big, burly bear. Plus he looked so edible. What can I say, I was a kid.




I'm sure there are plenty people in my generation who remember the Scarry books quite well.

Comments

OEBooks said…
Hey, yes!!! I remember the Gingerbread Man, though not too sure I remember Scarry. Thanks for taking me back and reminding of the books I missed.
DuEwa Frazier said…
RYCJ, we're all kids at heart anyway right? Thanks for stopping by!

Popular posts from this blog

Barbecue & Books Go Hand in Hand: 5 Crazy Ways to Promote Your Book!

After the MFA: 10 things I learned

Jazz, Books & Talking to Strangers in DC